Custom Kitchen Cabinets
Custom Cabinets Colorado Springs
People who are considering changing the look and functionality of their kitchen have several options. What they choose is based on many factors. They are quality, budget, time needed to achieve the look desired, and whether a layout change is needed or desired.
Difference Between Stock and Custom Cabinets
Stock and ready-to-assemble (RTA) cabinets are pre-built to standard sizes and offer limited design choices, although they are generally more economical than custom. These are the ones that are normally displayed at a store and are ready for sale. Custom cabinets are just that: they are customized to the homeowner’s specifications, tastes and preferences. They offer the opportunity to change the kitchen layout to make it more functional and convenient, and the quality of custom cabinets really showcases the kitchen as the heart of the home.
Characteristics of Quality Custom Kitchen Cabinets
- Cabinet fronts and drawers are solid wood and relatively free of imperfections—no sanding marks, knots, or color or grain irregularities.
- Corners have mortise-and-tenon joinery, a simple and strong joint.
Free Estimate Request
Get Your Custom CAD Design Today!
Advantages of Custom Cabinets
While custom cabinets are usually more expensive than stock cabinets, and will take longer to design and install, the final product will give the kitchen a more finished, custom look. Custom cabinets are storage areas that are measured, designed and built to fit a unique room. They can be made from a variety of woods and may have wood, tin, or glass doors, or a combination. Custom cabinets are popular because they are worth the added cost as compared to semi-custom or ready-to-assemble cabinets. From the joints to the hardware (handles and drawer pulls), custom cabinets are built to last. There is no wasted space with custom cabinets. They are designed to fit the kitchen’s dimensions, while stock cabinets are not. These are some of the advantages of custom cabinets:
- Cabinets can be built for individual layouts. Features such as a built-in for a microwave, a Lazy Susan in the corner, drawer dividers, or pull-out shelves can be added for increased functionality.
- Custom cabinets can be designed to harmonize with the house’s interior, whether it be traditional or contemporary.
- Measurements are adjusted to the specific area of the house. The cabinets are fully customized to exact specifications.
- Custom cabinets can be placed in a new layout, if desired, contributing to the functionality of the kitchen.
- Selection is unlimited. Custom cabinets offer a vast choice of shapes, colors and sizes.
Disadvantages of Custom Cabinets
- The time needed to plan, measure, construct and install custom cabinets will be much longer (around 6-10 weeks depending on the size of the kitchen and features desired) than semi-custom or stock cabinets.
- The cost will be higher than the cost of stock or semi-custom cabinets. The homeowner will need to work closely with the designer to keep costs reasonable.
Contact a Professional Regarding Custom Cabinets
A comprehensive estimate by a professional is very important. Contact Cabinet Refacing Trends in Colorado Springs, to request an estimate.